Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hello I'm Jonathon Powell and I'm a Fisherman

        
        I felt the need lately to write, about everything. The political scandals, Financial Turmoil this Country faces, even world peace. But I think a whole society as a whole needs to take a step back and just "chill". One of the best ways I know how to is to do my favorite activity of all time, "Fly Fish". My wife says I am to obsessed with it. I think it is my way of dealing with the everyday stresses of life. Family, Money etc. I know when I walk down to the lake in our neighborhood and make a cast to an area I suspect "fish" are, I feel a sense of wonderment and excitement. Kinda of like a little kid waiting to see what he got for Christmas. But when a big ol' Largemouth barrels out of the water like a linebacker going for my Fly, It's like getting that Christmas present that you always wanted. May sound silly to some,

 But those who Fish know....

          So this blog will be for Fly Fishing and Outdoor sports in general. Please post gear reviews, what flies your fishing with, new holes to fish, stream reports and I will too. Or if you have something on your mind that even slightly pertains to this, feel free to comment. As far as explanation for the name, When you fish you are free. Free from everything, Well one of the most common mistaken historical facts is that the Pirate flag meant Raping, Killing and Theft. But the Pirate Ideal was "Freedom"

Which is what we shall all hope and Fight for.

Enough philosophical talk, Lets share ideas, Flies, Gear Reviews,  New lakes and Rivers, and also ask questions !

J

3 comments:

  1. Jonathon,
    This is Great,I will let you know the kinda fly I'm using (when you teach me fly fish).
    And I always enjoy hearing your views on "almost" everything.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When you fish you are free. Free from everything"

    This is the best way I have heard a description of my passion in a long time. I am a fisherman. I am an artist. I am a graphic designer. When I'm fishing I AM "FREE" Free from life's troubles, free from daily concerns... free from everything except the water, the way it flows, and the creatures you are chasing... their world is so, so different than ours.

    I can sometimes be found at lunch or directly after work on a local stream just recharging my batteries before going back to my "corporate" world.

    My quarry may not be my prized trout or even bass, but the lowly pan fish or even bottom feeding catfish... to me it doesn't matter. It's all about being "free", one with the currents of the water and the game I so love to pursue.

    As for fly patterns in the south when waters run warm and gin clear (june through september) I usually tie and go to a dry fly mosquito pattern. My pattern usually uses a craft store/walmart DMC 8 meter length silver floss broken down into a single thread. (this will last YEARS this way) It adds just a bit of extra flash over the white fly tying thread and it's a bit more "tight" and gives a nice stripe over the black dubbing. Look at the zebra stripe on many invasive species of mosquitoes here in the south. (not the local species but prevalent)

    I use a standard mosquito pattern found easily on line... I may add a red tail but usually use grey or grizzly.

    It is however getting into fall. The Caddis should be starting to hatch again, with the cooler nights and the less oppressive days.

    I tend to tie Elk Hair caddis patterns, they are easy to tie and cheap. Adams Patterns are also good and resemble more than just a Caddis if other hatches are happening at the same time.

    TIP:

    Tie the elk hare caddis in a light color (white, light grey, light green and tan) Carry a series of light brown, red brown, dark green, orange, and black Sharpie Markers with you in your vest. If you cant match the hatch at your bench... match the hatch on the water. Dab the marker on the dubbing and change the color of your fly stream side.

    You can always go darker, but you can't go back to light... so keep a few in the light colors. they may just stand out enough to trigger a bite.

    Look at your surroundings. Caddis go to dry their wings at the nearest trees and bushes and will pattern colors by surroundings.

    Hope this helps & I'm looking forward to meeting up with you at your dads on Sunday after my round of golf.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete